Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Weight Loss

While the week started as usual, weight status quo, it suddenly changed. From July 16th to the 25th I held steady at 170. Sure, it was my goal weight but let's be serious. I wasn't convinced that's where I wanted to stay, unless, of course I developed bulging muscles on my upper body to match the massive leg strength I'm known for.

When the dam finally burst I lost 1.5 pounds (25th), 1 pound (26th), 1 pound (27th) and another .5 pound on the 28th. This is a total of 4 pounds in less than a week. It kind of makes you stop and wonder if something's going wrong. Weird that I worked very hard to get here and now find myself second guessing when the process works.

Even so, I suspect that I have about five more pounds to lose. When I started the weight loss program at Nutrisystem in February I researched possible goal weights. A BMI that was appropriate for a man my age and height would put me between 156 and 160. "Bah!" I said. I believed I could never reach that weight. After all I haven't been there since high school. So, I set my goal weight at 170. After Trey's wedding in May of '07 I weighed 172 for a brief moment. That ended as suddenly as it happened because I headed off to Camp Nebagamon for the summer and didn't stop eating till February of this year.

I calculated my body fat percentage at around 16%. I know that calculating your body fat percentage is actually a very poor second choice to other methods but it's the choice I currently have available to me. I'm sure that this calculation is very low so it gives me lots of room to move here. I'm not shooting for anything under 10% but that's still several pounds of fat I have to get rid of. If you use these numbers the 160 pounds is very reasonable. If I find that I am somehow able to rebuild significant muscle mass (not Schwarzenegger size, just some definition) that number will change but as it stands now it seems acceptable. I can still see the subdermal deposits of fat (though noticeably reduced) and vanity insists that I keep working.

My experience Sunday with being undernourished on my run is a challenge. I'm finding it difficult to allow myself to increase my calories in any significant way. I still log my food daily and am absolutely chained to the numbers I see there. I'd like to push it to 2000 calories a day (up from 1900) but last night when I figured my totals and saw 2000+ instead of 1900+ I wasn't able to eat the final snack I had planned.

Dahna is helping with that by preparing very tasty new recipes that include whole wheat pasta. I have such an irritating history of losing and gaining that I don't trust myself yet. I know I need to get past this but there's still work to be done here. I just keep remembering that I weighed about 200 pounds when we went to Florida for Thanksgiving last year. By February I weighed 230! I'm searching for the middle ground here.

It will be interesting to see how that adds to the effort to both control my weight and improve my running.

No comments:

Post a Comment