Sunday, August 2, 2009

Week Six Report

As of today (Sunday), I've got just six weeks of training to do for the Lewis and Clark 1/2 Marathon. I noticed an ad for the Chicago Rock 'n Roll run that I had originally decided to run. That race was today. It was fun to note that I feel so much different now than when I was looking for a race. About four months ago I was pretty sure I didn't have what it takes to get back into shape for a long race. Today, I was feeling pretty pleased with the progress I have been making toward my goal of under 2 hours.

Having recovered both physically and mentally from a dismal Sunday struggle over 8 miles, I completed the required 4 miles on Tuesday in an okay time. Wednesday I ran a tempo run on the track at school and managed to get faster as I ran. I'm still not quite sure I'm doing my tempo runs according to Hoyle but I am pushing the speed and that's the point. I ran 18 laps in the required 40 minutes which breaks down to some pretty good miles - 1 - 9 min 37 sec, 2 - 9 min 20 sec, 3 - 9 min 28 sec and 4 - 8 min 41 sec.

The last fast lap was in 2:03 (lap 17) followed by a cool down run which added some time to the overall effort but is part of what I think a tempo run is supposed to be about - build your pace through the first 3/4 of the run then back off a bit.

This week's training had some setbacks for sure. I had a horrible run to finish week five and then, on Wednesday, I injured my shoulder lifting weights. Fortunately, I had already completed my speed work for the week. Hal Higdon had a 10k scheduled for Sunday but there weren't any convenient ones in the area so that was out. So, a light week of training gave me some time to pull things back together.

I went to see my chiropractor about my shoulder. He did his usual pulling and popping of joints - mostly in my neck - and I seem to be improving. On Thursday I went ahead and ran a 3.1 mile circuit at JB Park. It was tough since I had to hold my left arm against my body the whole time. Still, I managed to complete the run in a reasonable time, considering the handicap. I took Friday completely off since it was strength day. This is the first real day off I've had for some time. I think it helped. On Saturday, another 3.1 mile run that I completed in excellent time led up to Sunday's run.

Since I was supposed to be running a 10k I decided to head over to Grant's Trail and push as hard as I could. I was interested in setting a standard time for a 10k since I didn't have one in the books yet. The trail is marked every half mile which is handy. But when you're running in kilometers it's also a bit of a challenge. As I headed out I was trying to decide how to best determine the extra distance beyond the 3 mile point in order to get the full 6.2 mile run in.

By mile 2 I decided that I'd count the steps between the 2.5 mile marker and the 3 mile marker. Then, I would divide that in half and when I had completed that many steps I'd turn around. The problem was that doing that resulted in my running 6.5 miles instead of 6.2 miles so my time won't be a valid representation of a 10k effort. At least it was more rather than less. I should have divided that in half again to get closer to the .2 miles I was trying to add on. Oh well, I'm a science teacher not a math teacher so no harm, no foul.

The other aspect that I was training on this run was the use of energy gels. I had two gel packets. One was a Chocolate flavored Cliff Shot. After eating Pure Protein bars over the last several weeks this was a shocker. Not really good in terms of flavor but I ate that on my way down the road to set out my water bottle.

I had a GU Berry Blast that I decided I would eat at the turn around point which should be around 30 minutes into the run. I took off and felt good notwithstanding an earlier bout with stomach issues that were unrelated to the Cliff Shot. I was able to push my time from the get go and got some good luck with the two intersections on the way out. My first mile was 9:28 and my second mile was 9:38. Mile three included a rather clumsy water stop - way too much time was wasted in the retrieving the water bottle, etc. resulting in a 10:23 mile. The fourth lap on my watch was the 1/2 mile addition and I completed that in 5:02 - not bad considering I slowed a bit to a.) turn around and 2.) eat my energy gel (fumble, fumble).

I hit the lap button when I got back to the three mile marker to start the second half of the run. Mile four ate up 10:55 in another less than graceful water stop plus a stop at the traffic signal. Once I'd crossed the road, it was clear sailing for the last two miles. I was feeling really good (placebo effect? or does this gel stuff really work?) and began to push the pace again. Mile five was done in 9:54 and now the race was on.

Since I had left Elton John, my normal pace man, at home along with my iPod, I conjured up some imaginary competitors and started to work my way toward the front of the pack. I have to admit I felt a bit guilty when I flew by so many guys coming down the home stretch but I kept pushing. I felt really good and when I hit the wooden bridge that was my signal to "rev up my roto-tail and win the race". I was able to quicken the pace just a bit and hit the tape in 8:48. Not bad considering it was the end of a six and a half mile run. My total time was 1:04 flat. It was a great way to end the week and this run (though shorter) was in stark contrast to the fiasco of the previous Sunday so I feel like I made some worthwhile discoveries about nutrition in combination with proper pre-race preparation.

Week seven will be a bit of a challenge. I'm not supposed to resume my weight training until after my appointment with the doc on Wednesday and then, on Friday, we're headed for Florida to visit my daughter and her husband. I don't want the vacation to interfere with the progress I've made to date but I'm sure that there will be adequate opportunities for running while I'm there.

I'll have to do a bit of research before I head out to see if I can lay out a 9 mile run. It so convenient to have a paved, delineated running trail about a mile from my house to accommodate my long runs during this training. It will be interesting to see what it's like to try and get a meaningful time on a long run without that.

No comments:

Post a Comment