Sunday, August 23, 2009

Conquering Demons

Today was to be the test. I was challenged and very concerned by my previous two attempts at completing my long run. Both times I had crashed, I felt horrible, dizzy, weak and was unable to run consistently throughout the training. The runs were only 10 miles so when the plan is to complete a 13.1 mile run in a personal best time, not being able to complete 10 miles becomes an issue.


I really felt that my first 'failure' was due exclusively to the high temperature, so for the second run I didn't make any changes except to carry my water with me on the run. This solution created at least one additional problem and, apparently, didn't address any of the issues I had faced previously. It was nice to have the water with me but by the end of mile five my shoulders were in revolt. I was apparently clutching the water bottle too tightly. Even when I became aware of that problem I couldn't find a way to really stop doing that without just dropping the water bottle. I muddled through but it turned out to be only a minor irritation compared to the other problems I was experiencing.


My speed over the course of the race dropped precipitously. I couldn't find comfort in rehydrating or even in refueling with the GU gel that I carried with me. I became concerned about even completing the mileage much less doing it with any panache. After the run I felt dizzy and disoriented. I didn't take time to stretch or cool down, I just went home not feeling well - physically or mentally.


After consultation with my PT, I determined that I needed to make some changes to my race prep.


Step 1.) Getting enough rest. I had changed my training pattern and had run three days in a row. This week I was back on track and rested on Friday.

Step 2.) Proper eating for endurance activity. I needed to increase the complex carbohydrates in my diet. I added whole wheat, whole grain pasta in place of some of the protein.

Step 3.) Replace lost electrolytes. I'm a heavy sweater and I usually lose about 3 or 4 pounds during a long run. I needed to increase the electrolytes in my race prep and during the race. I added Gatorade G2 which is low calorie so as not to totally blow the diet.

Step 4.) I needed a comfortable way to carry both the G2 and the GU gel so I bought a hydration belt that has a capacity of 40 ounces.


Today was the test. This, of course was not a scientific test because there were too many variables that were changed. There's no way to know which of these might have been directly contributing to my problems. But, with only four weeks to go before the race, I had to make some changes and see some rapid progress. I strapped on my fully loaded (with G2 and Chocolate Outrage GU gel) hydration belt. With my very successful 6 mile run yesterday, I was feeling very good about today. I had a double portion of pasta last night so I was carbo loaded. I ate my usual breakfast shake and as I drove to the trailhead I ate some Clif's Shot Blocks. I like the flavor of these but I don't think I want to hassle with them during a run - too messy.


Today the weather was incredible. As I began it was bright and sunny but only 65 degrees. Nice! I went out wanting to run 10 minute miles and I was able to run consistently, continually and comfortably throughout the run. Yahoo! With yesterday's great 6 mile run, I think I'm really getting myself ready for the race. Tomorrow I start Week 10 with a well deserved rest.


Just to prove that I'm keeping data and using that to inform my decisions, here is a side by side comparison of my two 10 mile races. Quite a difference between them.









































































8/16/2009 8/23/2009
1 10:59 1 10:27.37
2 11:37 2 10:22.34
3 11:06 3 10:39.94
4 15:35 4 11:07.86
5 12:04 5 11:06.14
6 15:06 6 10:45.99
7 15:39 7 10:33.60
8 15:27 8 10:43.48
9 16:59 9 10:06.00
10 15:52 10 08:58.33
Time 2:22.00 Time 1:45.23

No comments:

Post a Comment