Thursday, August 13, 2009

Training takes a Holiday



I just got home from St. Petersburg, Florida where I had the chance to visit with my daughter and son-in-law for a few days. Highlights of the trip include a visit to Busch Gardens for Allison's swan song (actually, no swans appeared in the show but lots of other critters did - follow this link for a video of a portion of her performance). Allison and I also went parasailing and kayaking. I got my training miles in as prescribed by Hal Higdon (9 miles on Sunday, even) notwithstanding the high heat and humidity which I wallowed in due to my sloth in getting on the road later in the day.

I previously mentioned my need to finish the Chicago Marathon with some panache following the 2007 debacle and while visiting a really classy restaurant in Tampa (Columbia Restaurant) Allison mentioned that the Gasparilla Marathon was going to be run for the last time in February. The restaurant is a co-sponsor of the event. That's how it made it's way into the conversation.

Well, I'm toying with this idea. When I overlay the training schedule with my real world commitments it requires lots of mileage through the extended holiday season. While the holidays aren't that critical in terms of partying for me it is a bit challenging to consider even with the limited travel that we do. The training regimen's long runs start week 1 with 8 miles so by the time Christmas rolls around you're into some serious Sunday runs. The really long runs will be taking place in January, however, which is actually not so bad since it's probably the time I need the discipline the most.

Also, the timing would be good from a coaching standpoint in that the race would be done just as the boy's volleyball coaching season begins. Then, I wouldn't have to concern myself with Chicago until school was done (or at least, right as it ends).

It seems doable and it's a neat idea from the standpoint of the LAST Gasparilla, a great excuse to get to Florida (I'm starting to love it down there), and another goal to keep my mind facing forward on this fitness and weight maintenance thing through the tough colder months - typically a challenge for me.

I have a couple of weeks to consider this, so I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment